SOCIAL MEDIA

Monday, July 8, 2019

DIY Intaglio Art

             Lately, I've been seeing a craze for the Italian-inspired intaglio artwork all over Pinterest and Instagram!  And of course, why wouldn't there be?  They bring such elegance and structure to any space and they are oh-so classy.  But the price tag?  I have yet to find a set (or even one) that is under $200.  I've recently come to the realization that the only way to have such beautiful artwork in my home is to create them myself. So I did!  And I would love to share the process with you.


First, I thought I would start with the frames. The ones above are from Ballard Designs, and oh - do I love that store.  They make some of the most elegant and classy items, especially these slimline gold frames with small embellishments on the edges.
      I knew that I would need to look for frames that could frame 3-dimensional artwork, so I found these artwork pieces at the At Home decor superstore in Texas.  These have a very soft gold frame which I thought would look PERFECT in my breakfast room (we have a chandelier with the exact same gold tone)!  I bought two frames for a total of $36.


        When I bought them, they had a faux stone glued into the center, but with a little operation, I removed the stone and attached some white paper to remove the roughness from glue remnants.  I plan on making multiple sets for various rooms of my house, but these are just what I needed for our kitchen.

       Next were the intaglio pieces.  I found an eBay store that sells plaster intaglio cameo pieces for very reasonable prices.  I thought with just these two frames in this size, I would select one piece for each frame (for my future intaglio sets, I may add more). For the two pieces below, I spent a total of $37.49 (including shipping from the UK)! Totally doable, am I right?!



And viola!  Here is the final product.  For the frames and the intaglio pieces, I spent a total of... (drumroll please)... $73.50! Doesn't it look amazing in our breakfast room?



This was a super easy DIY project that allowed me to get high-end inspired art for a lot less! I hope this inspires you to create your own for your home!

Blessings,






















Found art frames at At Home: link here

Post a Comment